Hamburger plans for the fourth feeling a little blah? I love playing around with different burger combos, so I've rounded up a few favorites in case you need a little inspiration.
1) Cheeseburger with bacon, smoked cheddar, and barbeque sauce. A classic. Remember, everything is made better by bacon. And don't come near my burger with American cheese, 4th of July or not.
2) Burger with feta, fried green tomato, and balsamic glaze. Our local place calls this the "Sweet Southerner". I always order it with extra balsamic, which makes it super messy, but OH SO good.
3) Southwest style. Mix chopped cilantro, cumin, cinnamon, and as much hot sauce as you want in with your ground beef when forming the patties. Top with pepper jack cheese and salsa or guacamole if you want some coolness.
4) Breakfast burger. Top with a fried egg, cheese of your choice, and spinach. If you really want to go all in, serve it on a bagel or with hollandaise sauce. Just don't do this one often!
5) Caprese burger. This is my current favorite. Top your burger with mozzarella, tomato, and basil. You can also use balsamic here, but if you've got a flavorful tomato it doesn't need it. You could also mix balsamic and dried basil in with the beef, especially if you're having trouble with burgers drying out.
General burger tips:
- Use higher fat beef for burgers. It'll drip out as it cooks. Save the 93% lean stuff for casseroles and tacos. ;)
- When forming your patties, make them a little concave. They puff in the middle when cooking, and they'll have a more uniform shape this way.
- Also remember they shrink! Make them a bit bigger than the bun you want to put them on.
Your turn! What is your favorite way to serve a burger? Is your go-to beef, or does another burger base stand in the spotlight?
Have a happy fourth of July everyone! Remember, be safe out there and don't drink and drive.